Protect your business from ransomware
Posted on June 1st 2017Security and Technology Consultant
The recent unprecedented ransomware attack known as WannaCry spread globally within a matter of hours, affecting thousands of businesses in at least 150 countries. At Cyber Insurance Cover we are committed to helping businesses but there are some essential steps that your business or organisation should also take to reduce the possibility of becoming a victim of such an attack.
Protect yourself and your business
- There are a number of steps you can take to help protect yourself and/or your business against a ransomware attack, such as:
- Ensure that your employees are aware not to click links in suspicious emails or download unsolicited email attachments.
- Apply security patches as soon as possible after they become available from your technology providers.
- Back up your data. You can’t be held to ransom if you hold your data somewhere else.
- Review and restrict accesses to your technology on a needs basis.
- Ensure you have a firewall protecting your technology from the Internet.
- Always have up to date anti-virus software installed on your technology to offer real-time protection against malware (including ransomware) attack.
Our security intelligence is suggesting that further global cyber campaigns might materialise in future months and that ransomware remains a very real and current threat.